Sunday 1 November 2015

Weekly update 01.11.2015

Having removed all the wall tiles, with the exception of those around the bath, I set about the enabling works for the extract fan. This will go in place of the old air vent so as to make good use of the existing airbrick on the outer wall.  The aperture was reduced using pieces of brick, leaving just enough space for the 100mm exhaust pipe.


These were cemented in place...


...then the plastic exhaust pipe was added after I had roughed up the outer surface to ensure good adhesion. I positioned it so that the front edge sat a couple of millimetres proud of the existing plastered surface. When skimmed, this should be just about flush with the new surface.


I had aligned the bricks with the back edge of the plaster layer so this backfilled using an offcut of 9.5mm plasterboard, cut to shape and secured using grab adhesive.


The cable was then chased into the wall and clipped...


...fresh mortar was added to the chase taking care to ensure that the cable exited the wall at exactly the right position to align with the fan when fitted. The mortar was scored to provide a good key for the plaster.


The whole area was then brought level with the existing wall using readymixed patching plaster. Ready for skimming now.



Meanwhile, I've been busy this week painting the two new doors. This time I've used "No Nonsense" primer/undercoat. As the door surfaces were pre-primed, they only needed a single coat, although I did use two coats on the unprimed edges.


I finished them off with two coats of quick-dry pure brilliant white satinwood.





Back to the bathroom... today I've stripped out the bath, the shower and the w/c cistern (so we now have to flush with a bucket of water!). Jacqui has been busy removing wall tiles and scraping off the tile adhesive.


I've capped off the hot and cold water feeds. I've fitted an appliance tap with hose adapter to the cold feed so that the plasterer will have access to cold water without having to use the shiny new kitchen.



Who said water and electricity don't mix???  Here you see the old shower cable, the new shower cable and a stopcock sticking out of the wall!! Actually, I didn't have a suitable blanking cap for the water feed to the shower so I used a spare stopcock on a short length of 15mm copper pipe. Looks a bit odd, but does the trick until I get something more suitable.


No comments:

Post a Comment