Sunday 20 March 2016

Weekly update 20.03.2016

This week, work has continued on refurbishing the sashes in bedroom 1.  I'm still working on the first of two as the oil based paint needs 24 hours between each application.

The sashes have been filled and sanded to a smooth finish before being primed with No Nonsense all purpose primer.



 The new pulleys have a slightly longer faceplate and casing than the old ones...


...so I've pegged the old screw holes and opened up the rebates in the window casing to accommodate the new ones.


I managed to source some lightweight 6mm x 18mm hardwood strip which is perfect to replace the old parting beads.  This has been cut to size and checked for fit before painting.


Meanwhile, more coats of paint have been applied to the sashes and window frame.  On the outer facing surfaces I am using gloss white, whilst on inner facing surfaces I am using satinwood white. This is obviously a bit more time consuming than using just the one finish, but will look better.


I've decided to replace the staff beads with new, so these have been mitred...


...and checked for fit, before painting.


So, today, everything is now fully painted and has had plenty of time to dry.  I just need to get hold of some more of the 10 lb sash weights from my neighbour before re-assembly as I doubt the lighter ones will be sufficient.



Meanwhile, I've started snagging the bathroom... the tile edges have been painted white to match the walls and I've had to strip back an re-paint a section of the T&G panelling where a wood knot was bleeding resin.

No comments:

Post a Comment