Sunday 4 October 2015

Weekly update 04.10.2015

So, to finish off the window frame and restore the original profile, I screwed a length of plastic trunking into position on the sill before back-filling with 2 part plastic wood filler.  Several applications were needed to bring it up to the right height, but it only takes about 15 minutes for each to set.  I lightly oiled the plastic trunking so that the filler didn't stick to it and it was easy to remove afterwards.  I then just needed to fill the screw holes and give it a light sanding.



Once sanded down and primed, it's looking like new!




A quick reminder of how it was before...


...and now, with a coat of undercoat...



The flat roof is due to be re-covered this month, so I thought I should get the fascia boards repaired and painted beforehand.  Once again, a bit of poking with a screwdriver has revealed yet more rotten timber!  I used the Ronseal rotten wood hardener to stabilise the timber before filling it with the 2 part filler.




Sanded and primed, the boards are looking much better...



We had plenty of grey undercoat left over from the kitchen units so I used this to undercoat the fascia boards.



And finally a top-coat of non-drip black gloss.  Whilst off, the guttering and brackets were cleaned up.



Another job that needed to be done before the flat roof is re-covered was the window of the 3rd bedroom, otherwise it would mean having to walk all over the new felt if done later.  What I expected to be a fairly simple painting job turned into something a little more involved.  You can see that the frame had become detached from the surrounding brickwork...



...so I set about digging out the loose mortar.  This left quite a gap!!



...and at the bottom corner of the frame, surprise surprise... more wood rot!



So, more filling and rubbing down of the woodwork was called for.



I then repaired around the frame with fresh mortar and took the opportunity to repoint the engineering bricks below the window.



...and whilst the weather still holds, a coat of white undercoat is applied for protection.  Rain is forecast overnight!!



Meanwhile, at t'other end of garden, the shed continues it's programme of preservation, courtesy of 'er indoors (or should I say 'er outdoors).




Whilst up the ladder, testing the reinstated guttering, I was reminded that there's quite a lot of mortar missing from the upper corner of the wall.  In fact I could get my fingers virtually to the other side of the bricks here!!




...and further along the wall, it looks like someone had started to rake out the mortar, but never got round to re-pointing it.



With the daylight fading, I managed to re-point most of the offending areas.  The rest will wait until another sunny day.







No comments:

Post a Comment